Secure access and subscription access go hand in hand - and now, I'm really excited to announce that Locksmith offers both under one roof. :D To do so, we've integrated with Stripe, making for a subscriptions solution that's super flexible and super friendly.
- A seamless fit into your storefront. Locksmith will automatically show subscription options whenever a customer encounters content locked with a subscription key, and it'll do so in a way that fits in perfectly with your shop's theme. Once the customer is subscribed, they'll see a bar at the bottom of the screen with their subscription details, and an option for cancelling. No confusing flows or jarring design differences - everything just fits. :)
- Integration with Shopify customer and order records. Your customers will see each subscription payment as an order in their account, and will receive a receipt email from your shop whenever payment goes through. And, naturally, you'll see all of these orders in your Shopify backend as well.
- Mix and match subscription requirements with other keys. Perhaps a piece of content can be accessed by Annual Pass subscribers, or perhaps you have a collection reserved for customers who've purchased all of your subscription plans? Or, maybe some content requires both a subscription and a passcode? As with all of Locksmith's key options, you can combine subscription requirements with each other, and with any other key conditions as needed.
- Easy synchronization with Stripe, a leader in merchant payments. Even if you don't have a Stripe account yet, Locksmith and Stripe together make it easy to get set up for business. And, having your own Stripe account gives you complete control over and visibility into your subscription payments.
- No extra charges. This feature is included with your Locksmith account, so - apart from the usual-and-unavoidable credit card processing fee - there's no cost whatsoever to you. :D And yes, this makes Locksmith the most cost-effective way to run customer subscriptions and memberships for Shopify. 🙌
Once you're logged into Locksmith, head to the "Subscriptions" tab. (Don't see it? Make sure you're using Locksmith v5.)
Try out the calculator to see what you could make, then take a minute to read the overview in the right-hand column. It contains important information about how Locksmith works together with Stripe, and what this means for you.
When you're ready, hit the "Connect with Stripe" button to proceed. You'll see a screen like this one:
If you already have a Stripe account, great! Log in to proceed.
If you haven't used Stripe before, don't worry - just hit the "Sign up" link below the login form, and follow the prompts. Stripe makes it super simple to get set up. :)
Once you've logged into Stripe, you'll see a Shopify prompt, asking you to approve some additional permissions for Locksmith. (This approval is a mandatory one: Locksmith uses this access to synchronize subscription activity with your customer orders, to keep everyone on the same page.)
After that, the hard part's over! You'll be returned to the "Subscriptions" tab, where you'll get to create your very first subscription plan:
Try it out: name the plan as you like, choose a price and a billing interval, and hit the "Create plan" button.
If you ever want to go back and make changes, Locksmith will give you an easy-to-reach "Manage" link, which will direct you to Stripe for anything you might need to touch up, like so:
Once you've got a plan set up, head back to the "Locks" tab, and click on a lock you've already got set up, or create a new lock on whatever you'd like to make available under your new subscription plan. In our example, we're going to lock a page called "Premium access only":
Once you've got the lock settings open, look over in the "Keys" section on the right, and select the option for requiring a paid subscription:
... and select the subscription plan you just created:
Hit the "Create key" button, and you're in business. :D
Here's a quick example of how a customer might interact with our demo subscription plan:
After clicking the subscription button, Stripe's credit card prompt appears:
After subscribing, the customer now has access:
... and, in the background, Locksmith's registered their subscription payment as a Shopify order. They've also received an email receipt confirming this, just like they would for any other order.
If the customer chooses to hit that "Cancel subscription" button, they'll still have access, but only until the end of the subscription period they've paid for:
If you need to terminate a customer's subscription effective immediately, you can do so from within the Stripe dashboard (as linked to from Locksmith's "Subscriptions" tab). Once in Stripe, find the customer's subscription from the "Subscriptions" section, use the dropdown menu to select the "Cancel subscription..." option, and select the option for doing so immediately.
That's it! :D
We'd love to hear how it's working out for you - just use that chat button in the corner to let us know. :) Cheers!